The Anderlues cokeworks opened in 1903 to convert the bituminous coal mined at the nearby Warimez colliery. It suffered with the decline of the coal industry, closed for good in 2002 and was demolished in 2002. What we see today are its ruins. The site is heavily polluted. Twelve years have passed and today we are in the presence of a melancholic memorial where nature reveals itself in all its force, taking over the site and its slag heaps. For example, there are seven ponds on the upper heaps, lined with reeds that provide shelter for the birds.