As part of the Month of Photography in the Nièvre, La Maison jointly presents the iconic images of Sabine Weiss and the pictorial work of Hugh Weiss: a pair of artists in symbiosis.
Sabine Weiss (born in 1924) is, alongside Robert Doisneau, Willy Ronis, Édouard Boubat and Izis, one of the main figures of the current of French humanist photography. She is also, at 97, the last representative.
What is less known about the life of Sabine Weiss, however, is her intense relationship with her husband, painter Hugh Weiss. A fusional, accomplice and indestructible relationship that lasted no less than 58 years.
Hugh Weiss (1925-2007) is an American painter. In 1949, he met Sabine Weber, who would become Sabine Weiss. The photographer is undeniably the artist’s muse. She is found in an incalculable number of paintings. The painter was close to the work of Sabine Weiss because he went with her on many of her travels and gladly took the role of assistant. He is also found in some of the photographer’s photos.
Hugh Weiss was a free electron. He does not claim to belong to any current even though the Cobra movement influenced his work. The trips he made with his wife mark his painting. It contains various ingredients: elephants, architecture, domes, sacred boats and rivers as well as the evocation of a car accident that marked the life of the couple.
The two artists so united in their intimacy in no way influenced the artistic approach of the other. However, they work perfectly in symbiosis.
It is in the image of the functioning of this couple of artists that the exhibition “Hugh and Sabine Weiss – In symbiosis” will be built in three parts: the work of the photographer, that of the painter and the emotional connection that links them.
Christophe Vootz, exhibition curator
Hugh and Sabine Weiss – In symbiosis
Exhibition presented from October 9 to December 8, 2021
as part of the Month of Photography in Nièvre
Maison de la culture de Nevers
2, Boulevard Pierre de Coubertin
“With Hugh and Sabine Weiss”, an archival film produced for the exhibition by Victor Targosz-Martinez