The sale of Lothar Schirmer‘s Glamour Collection in Paris was a success.
With humor, Lothar sent me this email:
The auction went quite well. It made a substantial turnover and I shall receive in return 23 images that remained unsold.
So I can start a new collection!
Christie’s Paris presented the online sale Photographies & Lothar Schirmer’s Glamour Collection, featuring over 153 prints by major 20th and 21st century artists such as Helmut Newton, Robert Mapplethorpe, Irving Penn, Peter Beard, William Klein, Hiroshi Sugimoto, Man Ray and Constantin Brancusi. The first part of Lothar Schirmer’s Glamour Collection sale (82 lots) was devoted to the collection of the famous art publisher.
The sale totaled 2.5 million € | 2.6 million $, the best result for an exclusively online photography sale. Bidders and underbidders from 25 countries around the world took part in the sale.
Helmut Newton’s complete portfolio, Private Property, Suites I, II & III (2 portfolios / 45 works), the sale’s highlight, sold for €302,400.
“We are very honored by the trust placed in us by Lothar Schirmer. The success of the works in his collection during the sale, and the large number of visitors to the exhibition, attest to the extraordinary eye of this legendary publisher.” – Elodie Morel-Bazin, Europen Head of the Photography department, Christie’s France.
Two thirds of the lots were sold above their estimates:
- Robert Mapplethorpe, Isabella Rossellini, 198 (lot 9), sold for €27,800 (estimate €15,000 – €20,000)
- Steven Klein, X-STaTIC PRO=CeSS11 [“Madonna on table”], 2002 (lot 33), sold € 35,280 (estimate € 6,000 – 8,000)
- Herbert List Herr und Hund (Master and Dog), Portofino, Italy, 1936 (lot 63), sold for €23,940 (estimate €3,000 – 5,000)
- Cindy Sherman, Untitled #277 (Tribute to Dior for Harper’s Bazaar), 1993 (lot 82) sold for €94,000 (estimate: €40,000 – €60,000)
- Man Ray, Genica Athanasiou portant un manteau Chanel, pour ‘Antigone’ de Cocteau, 1921 (lot 127), sold for €81,900 (estimate €8,000 – 12,000).
The sale achieved 3 world records for three works from the Lothar Schirmer collection:
- A world record for Patrick Demarchelier, with Christy Turlington, New York, 1990 (lot 8), sold for €138,500 (estimate € 20,000 – 30,000)
- A world record for David Seidner with “YSL”, Anh Duong, 1986 (lot 48), sold: €20,160 (estimate €3,000 – €5,000)
- A world record for Anton Corbijn, Kraftwerk I-IV, Heads of the Kraftwerk mannequins, Barcelona, 1981 (lot 26), sold: €44,100 (estimate: €30,000 – 50,000)
Christie’s : Lothar Schirmer’s Glamour Collection